[Loadstone] Clock-face cardinal discrepancy in exploration mode

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Fri Oct 12 07:09:31 BST 2007

[quoted lines by Shawn Kirkpatrick on 2007/10/11 at 22:36 -0700]

>I can usually follow things but I'm completely lost on this one. Adding the
>half hours would give 24 points with only 8 direction keys. This leaves 16
>directions you can't exactly hit.

But it at least can point directly to all eight key directions. Note that the
degrees system deifnes 360 points, i.e. it contains 352 points that you can't
hit with the eight keys, but it's still useful and used. The important thing is
to have directions in the system which do refer to the eight keys.

>If I've got this right the pattern would
>be: 12:0 1:30 3:0 4:30 6:0 7:30 9:0 11:30. Not what I'd call an intuitive
>pattern.

Those would refer to the eight key directions, but, of course, you'd leave in
all the other half hour points as well.