[Loadstone] Clock-face cardinal discrepancy in exploration mode

monty at loadstone-gps.com monty at loadstone-gps.com
Fri Oct 12 06:54:04 BST 2007

Hi,

I understand what Dave is suggesting and yes Shawn you are correct with
your key-to-clockface assignments.

Sometimes when people are describing directions in terms of clockface
directions they will use terminology such as 6:30.  Which affectively
means right of 6:00 and left of 7:00.

I see how this method for some would be better than the current limited
clockface directions in Exploration mode since it would use all eight keys
but the :30 terminology may confuse some as indeed it has.

If we wanted to get right down to it the GPS/NMEA protocol measures
direction in degrees which means there are 360 potential directions.  This
means that any other form of reference (such as cardinal, clockface etc)
is only an aproximation anyway!

Monty