[Loadstone] Clock-face cardinal discrepancy in exploration mode

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Fri Oct 12 03:58:36 BST 2007

[quoted lines by Shawn Kirkpatrick on 2007/10/11 at 17:04 -0700]

>Wouldn't this make the problem worse?

No, as it adds 12 more points for a total of 24.

>The biggest problem is that there's 12 directions on the clock face but only 8
>direction keys.

But if you add the half hours, thereby getting 24 points on the clock face, and
since 24 is divible by 8, the problem is resolved.

>I'm also not sure what direction something like 4:30 would represent. It's
>been a long time since I've used an analog clock but wouldn't something like
>4:30 represent two different directions?

Don't worry about the minute hand. 4:30 would map to the 9 key, i.e. to 135
degrees, since the hour hand would be pointing exactly half way between 4:00
and 5:00.