[Loadstone] Routes and trips.

Shawn Kirkpatrick shawn at odyssey.cm.nu
Wed Oct 10 08:30:20 BST 2007

Let me take care of this cost worry right now. Loadstone is open source free
software licensed under the Gnu public license (GPL). This applies to the
data on the point share site as well. This means that the software is free
to use and modify. It can also be redistributed by anyone as long as they
abide by the GPL license. This means that even if the program ever did go
commercial the open source free version would always be available. This
would be a project fork. There's no intension of this happening. At the very
least it would cause problems on a technicle level since some essential
parts of the code are based on code licensed under the GPL from other
projects. It would also cause problems with distributing the point share
data since a lot of that is community entered. It would also be a pretty
rude thing to do to the Loadstone community we've built up.
This isn't to say that we wouldn't like to make money on this, of course we
would but if there were to be a commercial part it would be some optional
component. Maybe additional services? support? We haven't come up with
anything yet.
I think running the project as an open source project has resulted in a
better program. It might not make anyone rich but we get other results whos
value is harder to quantify.
As for the program's simplisity and features, I think the trick is to have a
lot of powerful features while keeping the program easy to use.
There are a lot of programs that already do these things but they can have
some problems. As you point out, a lot of the time the costs are just too
high. Sometimes the program doesn't cost too much but you have to pay for
map data. In the case of wayfinder access, the cost is too high and then you
have to pay for a subscription to the mapping service as well as any data
charges involved in accessing it. Sometimes these programs are sort of
accessible but weren't really designed with that in mind. The idea of
Loadstone is to try to work around as many of these problems as possible.
Unfortunately this can mean reinventing the weel sometimes. This is also a
side effect of being an open source project, the commercial software makers
aren't willing to share code or data with an open project.