[Loadstone] Routes and trips.

Cearbhall O Meadhra cearbhall.omeadhra at idd.ie
Tue Oct 9 16:12:03 BST 2007

Sean,

I am afraid I may have caused some confusion in my last message. The streets
are given their percentage identity in the creation of the Loadstone file.
For example, my source of the map data gives me a three column spread sheet
in excel that contains one street name occurring nine times. (The street is
180m long). As each of the point names is thus identical, this is not a very
useful way to present the point names. That is why we devised our own system
of taking the point names in the order in which the source sends them to us
and then applying the percentage value to the nine entries that were
supplied in this example. This means that the Loadstone dataset already has
the streets marked in a series of points identified by increasing percentage
values.

The point I was making was that if the street is not straight but actually
looping around in a curve, this sequence of points might not be the same as
that in which the points are encountered on the street. It would be very
simple for the user to edit the percentage value on each point name using
the "point update" feature in loadstone to get the right sequence manually
as they move along the street. To make this easier, I would suggest that the
point name be held in Loadstone as two cells so that the percentage value is
contained in a scroll box. We store the total number of increments for each
street as part of the process of creating the percentage values and this
could easily be passed over to Loadstone as part of the input dataset. Thus
the user could scroll through the percentage values until the right one was
found. Once out of update mode the percentage would stay fixed.

Here is a sample of the finished table ready for Loadstone:
------------------
table,point
Name,latitude,longitude,accuracy,satellites,priority,userid,id
"MARTELLO TERRACE, 0%",532072000,-61017300,1,9,0,39208,1129506301
"MARTELLO TERRACE, 13%",532072000,-61014400,1,9,0,39208,1129506302
"MARTELLO TERRACE, 25%",532072000,-61011400,1,9,0,39208,1129506303
"MARTELLO TERRACE, 38%",532070000,-61009000,1,9,0,39208,1129506304
"MARTELLO TERRACE, 50%",532069000,-61007100,1,9,0,39208,1129506305
"MARTELLO TERRACE, 63%",532072000,-61017300,1,9,0,39208,1129506306
"MARTELLO TERRACE, 75%",532073000,-61014700,1,9,0,39208,1129506307
"MARTELLO TERRACE, 88%",532073000,-61011900,1,9,0,39208,1129506308
"MARTELLO TERRACE, 100%",532074000,-61007900,1,9,0,39208,1129506309
"MAYFIELD TERRACE, 0%",531945000,-61069200,1,9,0,39208,1129505600
"MAYFIELD TERRACE, 33%",531943000,-61069000,1,9,0,39208,1129505601
"MAYFIELD TERRACE, 67%",531943000,-61069000,1,9,0,39208,1129505610
"MAYFIELD TERRACE, 100%",531941000,-61068500,1,9,0,39208,1129505611
"MEATH PLACE, 0%",532022000,-61015600,1,9,0,39208,1129506410
"MEATH PLACE, 17%",532020000,-61013800,1,9,0,39208,1129506411
"MEATH PLACE, 33%",532019000,-61013600,1,9,0,39208,1129506416
"MEATH PLACE, 50%",532019000,-61013500,1,9,0,39208,1129506417
"MEATH PLACE, 67%",532019000,-61013300,1,9,0,39208,1129506437
"MEATH PLACE, 83%",532017000,-61012300,1,9,0,39208,1129506438
"MEATH PLACE, 100%",532015000,-61010500,1,9,0,39208,1129506439

Does this still seem too complicated?

All the best,

Cearbhall

Tel: 01-2864623 Mob: 087 9922227 Em: cearbhall.omeadhra at projectidd.ie