[Loadstone] Routes and trips.

Cearbhall O Meadhra cearbhall.omeadhra at idd.ie
Tue Oct 9 11:44:49 BST 2007

Dear Sean et al,

I have been following this discussion with keen interest. I think some very
good ideas are appearing.

Ronan and I have put together a method of handling POI names when they occur
on the same street. We simply add a percentage value to each point name as
it progresses logically by longitude or latitude. A typical result would be:
"main Street 0%", "main Street 10%", "main Street 20%", etc  up to "main
Street 100%",.

It is possible that this street is laid out in a circle and so this logical
sequence might not be the sequence one would meet while walking from one end
of the street to the other. In that case, I would recommend that the "%"
value be separated from the rest of the point name as a numeric field that
could be edited automatically as recommended in the suggestions below, to be
rearranged according to the sequence in which they occur to the pedestrian.
Of course this would mean that the system must know the increments of the
percentage values so that the correct ones are maintained but I think that
would be easy enough to manage.

The value of using the percentage as an incremental identifier is that it
allows a universal method that gives a sense of the location of the walker
in relation to the beginning and end of the street while giving a unique ID
to the point of interest.

Any comments?

All the best,

Cearbhall