[Loadstone] S60 v3 without sertificates

Shawn Kirkpatrick shawn at odyssey.cm.nu
Tue Oct 2 12:21:32 BST 2007

At the moment the cell stuff and syncing the phone's time with the gps
require the signed capabilities. We could take those features out but
unfortunately the capabilities that need signing come up at the most
inconveniant times so they'd likely come up again at some point in the
program's development.
At the moment Symbian seems to be in the process of reworking the whole
rediculous signing process. If it goes the way it seems to be going we
should be able to put out a signed version in the near future. This will
cost the developers for each release but would elliminate the process for
the end users. None of the new process has been finalized yet so I'm not
sure what the end result will be. I'm thinking we'll release the next
version quite soon with the current system in place and then hopefully by
the version after that we'd be able to release the signed version.
A trick to get around the 6 month renewal problem is just to use your old
cert and then roll the date on the phone back to a time that cert is valid
and install the program. Once the program is installed you can set the date
back to normal and everything works fine.