[Loadstone] Holux Communication Problems

Michael O. Hanson mhanson at winternet.com
Thu Nov 15 01:21:20 GMT 2007

Someone on this list mentioned problems making a Holux GP Slim-236
communicate with their phone.  If the issue is with the receiver and it is
not under warrantee, I would recommend upgrading to the M-1000.  I have
evaluated five GPS receivers.  The M-1000 is one of the three best ones I
have looked at.  There are some notes about it on Loadstone's website.  It
is the smallest receiver I have tried.   The M-1000 has a slide switch.  You
might prefer it to a push-button switch.  I believe the 236 has a
push-button switch.  The M-1000 seems to acquire satellites relatively
quickly.

The M-1000 is WAAS (wide area augmentation system) enabled.  I don't believe
this provides a significant improvement in accuracy over non-WAAS-enabled
receivers.  Others might have different opinions.  The M-1000 seems to be
more solidly built than other receivers.

You might also consider the Royaltec RBT-2110.  Its battery life is similar
to the Holux M-1000.  It is somewhat larger and heavier than the M-1000 but
not enough to make any meaningful difference in my opinion.  It has a
covering for the charger connection that keeps moisture and dirt out.

The Royaltec RBT-2110 might be more expensive.  A little creative on-line
shopping might save you some money on either receiver.  The RBT-2110 might
perform a little better in terms of tracking direction changes at slow
speeds.  Loadstone has some documentation about this receiver on its
website.  The RBT-2110 is not WAAS-enabled to the best of my knowledge.  It
seems to acquire satellites more slowly than the M-1000 in my experience.
Both receivers seem to be relatively free from multi-path errors.

I personally prefer the M-1000 because of its slightly smaller size and
weight but would use either receiver.  I plan to take my Royaltec and Holux
on my hike of the Appalachian Trail.  One will be my primary receiver.  The
other will be my backup unit unless the Wondex mentioned on this list shows
me a substantial performance difference.

Mike Hanson