[Loadstone] Feature wishes

David Greenwood DavidGreenwood at rogers.com
Fri Nov 2 11:21:22 GMT 2007

You wrote..."The way we're trying it now is to remap the
> keys so that a normal key press of the numeric keys would look in that
> direction and a long key press would move the focus. I'm thinking the show
> area function will be tweaked so it could be made to work in a given
> direction. That way maybe a shift of a numeric key would bring up a list
> in
> that direction."

Right on! I've been thinking on how this functionality could be implemented.
I think your suggestion is a good one. Many times I am travelling around and
press the 12 o'clock position on the 5-way button and get an unwanted
intersection of a parallel street to my travel just because some road is
crossing the parallele road at a shorter distance from me.
 Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it picks this unwanted intersection
because it is closer to the one I want and still in a more or less 12
o'clock position, opposed to a 3 or 9 o'clock position.
As you suggest, a list generated by the area function could do it, or
another suggestion may be If in navigation mode, more weight could be given
to a point displayed  based on how closely it fits the direction of travel
rather than the distance.  Both would need to be taken into account though.

Here is an example to illustrate where I'm going with this.  Ignore the
equation--it is only an example.   If I am travelling in navigation mode, I
push the 12 o'clock position on the 5-way button and Loadstone must decide
between several points.  There is a point 100 meters ahead that is only 5
degrees off the direction of travel, while there is a point at 60 meters
which is 40 degrees off my direction of travel. The equation determining
which point to choose could take the lowest value once you multiply the
number of degrees off the direction of heading by the distance.  The point I
want would have the value 500, (5 degrees times 100 meters),  while the one
I'm not interested in would have the value 2400, (40 degrees times 60
meters). .  The first one would be displayed.  It seems to me that currently
the second one would be selected. This concept could be an option in
exploration mode as well.
 As you may have seen from previous posts, I don't do math well before my
morning coffee, and so excuse me if I'm way off on this.

David.