[Loadstone] GPS Receivers

Rob Melchers rob at loadstone-gps.com
Thu May 24 04:18:44 BST 2007

Hi all, some more notes on receivers,

After having read different reports by users of the QStarz Q818 (MTK
chipset) we had a look at the specs. We couldn't find any reliable data on
SN or sleep mode. We have tested a receiver that uses the MTK chipset (the
iBlue 737) and noticed that this receiver reports a large number of usable
satellites (sometimes 13). However, lots of satellites don't guarantee
better reception. If a satellite is two degrees over the horizon its
presence in the calculation is of little value. The MTK chipset also
promises a high sensitivity (-158 dBm). Again, this may help under certain
circumstances but be a disadvantage under other. Therefore high sensitivity
and lots of satellites reported don't qualify a receiver for use with
Loadstone-GPS.

The iBlue 737 worked well when used in speeds over 5 KpH. Lower speed
showed inaccurate data being sent from the receiver to the phone. The log
we studied was taken on a walk in two main directions, a turn in the middle
of 90 degrees. The first 5 minutes reported the opposite direction and the
receiver reported a speed of 103 KpH. Only after several minutes the data
confirmed with the actual situation, but still issued long streams of
non-changing information, a sign of activated sleep mode. Also position
reporting was not reliable (with errors of almost 100 yards). Since at this
moment there is no way to change or look at the manufacturers settings we
assume that this receiver has a high SN ratio set or goes into sleep mode
when used at low speed. Buffered information from a previous trip is fed
into the phone and results in unreliable information.

This does not mean that the MTK chipset is not able to perform well for our
purposes, but if a manufacturer sets a number of settings to show a
'smooth' track and a high mumber of satellites pedestrian use is
prohibited. Please take this into account when purchasing a new receiver.
If possible, take the receiver for a test run at low speed before you
decide to buy it. The ideal test run is a 6 minute walk starting in one
direction (preferably to the south) and making a right or left turn after
three minutes while checking direction and speed every 30 seconds. If an
owner of a receiver that uses the MTK chipset could send us a log of such a
walk we could analyze the results even more accurate. A written report that
states direction, duration and curving is mandatory for us to be able to
make conclusions.

Windows users who want to do their own testing can e-mail me off-list, I'll
try to assist in setting-up your own testing facility.

I don't know about the US, but in Europe you can return a product within 8
days for a complete refund when buying of the web. So don't wait too long
with testing.

If you want to play it safe, the Royaltec 20 and 21 series have proven to
work fine with Loadstone-GPS, both in accuracy and Bluetooth connectivity.
In Europe the AD750 and 800 by Adapt are more readily available and work
fine too.

Rob