[Loadstone] Further thoughts for Chad

Aedan O'Meara aomeara at iol.ie
Wed May 23 15:44:30 BST 2007

Hi Chad, been thinking over your problem and wonder if you could check
the following:
1. Is your Holux new from the manufacturer or is it secondhand and maybe
the baud rates have been upset?
2. Are you sure it is fully charged up. If the slide switch is in the
"on" position it will not charge up.
I have had one occasion to take out the battery and clean the contacts
when the gps misbehaved. It didn't seem to take a charge when it should.
This brought it back completely. I think some corrosion can occur when
it is being carried a lot on the person from body moisture.
3. What version of Loadstone are you running? The version for the 6600
is not suitable for the 6680.
4. Is the Holux selected properly under your bluetooth settings in the
Nokia 6680? I e is it authorised properly?

The "off" position for the switch on the Holux is towards the USB hole.
The movement is very slight, so check carefully.
Finally, I have found that making a loop in my braces on my shoulder to
hold the gps gives far better results in built-up areas. The antenna is
under the top plastic so obviously it should be the correct way up as no
microwave signal can penetrate the battery on the bottom!
Also, Shawn and company, my cure for the calling out ot the heading and
distance under the announcing of the checked points is to add three dots
to the name as I store it. This gives enough seperation to give my brain
time to register the name of the point before it gives the heading and
distance.
Regards
Aedan O'Meara
Cork