[Loadstone] Data Testing

Michael O. Hanson mhanson at winternet.com
Tue May 22 23:53:36 BST 2007

I'm back and still alive.  Sorry Rob, I had to get one wisecrack in.  I did
some day-hikes to test data in Shenandoah National Park last week.  I will
describe the results briefly. Appalachian Trail Conservancy data worked as
well as I could expect.  Shelters were within 19 yards of where the data
said they were.  That is about as good as it gets unless you mark the points
yourself in my experience.  Maptec data weren't so good.  They were within
five hundred yards of where they should have been.  I need to find out what
is going on with Maptec.  I believe it is their error or a data extraction
error.

Loadstone did everything I thought it would.  It worked fine.  I had no
problems with it what so ever.

I wish I could say the same of the sighted people who were with me.  for
some reason, they thought GPS would tell me when I came to cliffs.  I have
no idea why.  I had no cliffs marked.  That is why I use a white cane.

I need to clean up some data.  I still have too many data points to make the
system and database easy to use.  Once I do that, I expect to try another
test in August or so.  I'll let you know how it goes.