[Loadstone] WAAS/EGNOS question

Paul Hopewell hopewell at hopewell.org.uk
Tue Mar 27 17:28:38 BST 2007

Hello,
I am using a Holux slim 236 with a Nokia 6600 running  the latest version of
Loadstone. I have a couple of questions about WAAS/EGNOS.
I was interested to read in a recent post that you can tell whether WAAS /
EGNOS is on by hearing "differential GPS fix" when you press the 3 key while
in navigation mode. I have tried this on several outings but have only heard
"differential GPS fix" on rare occasions. I normally hear "GPS fix". My
questions are:

1.	If WAAS/EGNOS is working should I hear "differential GPS fix" every
time I press the 3 key, or is WAAS/EGNOS only triggered if there are
insufficient sattelites in view for a good GPS fix?
2.	Is the WAAS/EGNOS signal broadcaste from a terrestrial station?
3.	Does WAAS/EGNOS cover all geographic areas or is the WAAS/EGNOS
signal weak with uncertain reception in many places. Note I live a few miles
outside Southampton in the UK.
4.	How accurate is a "differential GPS fix" compared with a "GPS fix".

Many thanks for your help.

Paul Hopewell
hopewell at hopewell.org.uk