[Loadstone] Tools to drive receivers.

Rob Melchers rob at loadstone-gps.com
Thu Mar 22 02:41:17 GMT 2007

If you have messed up your receiver you can either wait until the internal
battery (not the main battery) dies. Take out the main battery and give it
a week or so. The other way is to lift the clamp off the internal battery.
You'll need sighted help for this.

A .zip file with the SiRFDemo software including documentation can be
downloaded from:

http://www.blinfotec.org/loadstone-gps/download/SiRFstar3Demo.zip

Warning: Only experienced computer users should use this software. It's
essential that you read the documentation before activating the program and
connecting it to a receiver. Below you'll find a short manual and tips to
get you going.

Note: The Loadstone GPS team takes no responsibility whatsoever if you mess
up your receiver using this software.

         Tutorial for using Sirfdemo with Holux slim 236 and Holux data cable.

by Aedan O'Meara.

Install mini disk that comes with Holux gps.
1. using data cable. Connect cable and attach Holux gps. Turn it on.
2. Open Sirfdemo and you will be put into the setup menu.
3. Select serial port option
Select the com number. This may be found in Device manager but will also be
displayed here with all other live com ports.
The connecting baud rate will be displayed
Untick "Use aux(auxillary) data source"
press ok
4. Under Setup choose Target s/w(software) version choose v3.0/3.1
Leave auto detect on.
press ok
5. Under Actions click on open data source.
Switch to nmea protocol will be greyed out and Switch to Sirf protocol will
be available.
Visually as you are in nmea protocol you should have data streaming only in
the Debug window. This is normal,
see note below.
Across the top of the screen using Jaws cursor you will read the Sirfdemo
title and beside that it will say
"Unknown software on com... at baud rate ...".
Now under Actions select synchronize protocol and baud rate.
Using Jaws cursor you should now have the Software version in the gps and
the baud rate of 57,600 displayed on the
top of the screen beside the Sirfdemo title.

6. Synchronizing will have put you into Sirf protocol automatically.

Data streams will change and all windows will be filled. Under actions the
highlight should move to Switch to nmea protocol.
Switch to Sirf protocol should be greyed out. If this doesn't happen you
have not successfully gone into Sirf protocol.

Warning:
  Never play with user protocol because if you put the GPS into this
without a third party protocol in the GPS you will loose all communication
with the GPS. Lifting one leg of the backup battery within the unit is the
only way to get
back the gps in this situation. Also never synchronize the protocol and
baud rate when using bluetooth
connection as this might put the GPS baud rate out of reach as bluetooth is
fixed at 38,400.
The only way to get the gps back in this case is to lift one leg of the
backup battery within the unit, or use the Holux USB data cable.

         7. Now under Navigation go to Static Navigation.
Select disable and highlight and click send.

8. Now return gps to nmea protocol by clicking on this under Actions.
This will open a list box.
The default baud rate offered in here is 9600.
As Sirfdemo pulls the gps to its own baud you can change to nmea at 9600
successfully but you will not then be able to use your bluetooth connection
to Loadstone as this is at 38,400.
Alter baud rate here to 38,400 to restore the gps to Bluetooth rate,
otherwise when you  connect to bluetooth gps in Loadstone you will get the
message "gps clock has  stopped ticking, disconnecting" after about 5 secs.
( this is because the baud rate has been left at 9600 and the bluetooth
baud rate is 38,400.). You will still be
able to connect repeatedly at the bluetooth level but keep timing out.
Finally click on the Send button to finish.

Exit Sirfdemo.

Your Holux slim 236 should now be working properly with the SN turned off.

Selected Notes from tutorial list:
Answer to question about the other settings in the switch to nmea list box:
The values you put there are the message output rates in seconds between
outputs, and should be set to output the specific messages you require (or
you mapping program needs). The default settings are 1 second for GGA, GSA and
RMC, and 5 seconds for GSV. If you want velocity and heading, you can put 1
second for VTG. GLL is available as an alternative to GGA. Set values only
for the messages you want. Note that the ??? entries are for messages a
manufacturer may add as an extra. Most do not add any, although some SiRF
receivers support the ZDA (time and date) message in the middle of the 3 spots.
Note: For NMEA mode, SiRFDemo only displays the messages in the Debug View
window and does not provide information in the other windows. That is
normal for the program. The program is designed only to demonstrate
receivers, so it has some features only implemented with SiRF binary
format. And since NMEA protocol is a universal protocol, it does not define
functions to do many settings that are unique to a specific receiver. We
implemented a few features in NMEA (such as changing to SiRF protocol,
changing message rates, etc.), but not the others. To make those changes
you must switch to binary mode, make the changes and then switch back to NMEA.

Carl - SiRF Customer Support

I just bought a GlobalSat BT-338. When I connect it to my PC with a BT
dongle and start the SiRFDemo 3.61 I get a lot of 'Bad parity from SV xx,
subframe x'. For the rest the BT-338 seems to work.
Is this a software problem or is there really something wrong with the GPS?

Reply author: gpspassion
Replied on: 07/25/2005 15:26:04
Message:

Sounds like you're using the wrong baudrate, make sure you select 38,400bps.

Reply author: Carl at SiRF
Replied on: 07/26/2005 23:58:02
Message:

Actually, I think his baud rate was set just fine. That particular error
message means that he probably locked onto the satellites in the middle of
a word of the navigation message. As a result he found a parity error
(since he received the correct parity bits, but not all the actual data
bits). This is a very normal and common error when you see it at startup.
Other than that, you generally only see it when you have an actual parity
error (pretty rare) or when you have a blockage and come out of it (same
reason as when you see it at startup).

(Happens when you go into invisible cursor or Jaws cursor and when
switching back to nmea protocol, Aedan.)

Synchronize Protocol and Baud Rate actually only sends a command to the
receiver to go to SiRF protocol, and it does it at every baud rate and in
both SiRF and NMEA protocol. Then it switches to SiRF protocol at 57600
where it
expects to find the receiver. If that doesn't work for you, it is probably
because the receiver is set up to communicate at a different baud rate
(e.g., 38400 for many Bluetooth receivers). If Synch doesn't work for you,
after you have tried it scan each baud rate manually, starting at 4800 and
working upwards to 115200. Assuming you find the receiver at one of them,
remember that as your receiver is likely to go there whenever it is told to
change protocol.

SiRFDemo is not a passive program like many monitors -- it often sends
commands to the receiver when you aren't expecting it to. For example, if
you open a log file, SiRFDemo sends a query for software version and
navigation settings to the receiver and logs the results in the log file so
that information is available when the file is reviewed. Likewise, if you
try to issue a command to change some setting like static navigation,
SiRFDemo queries the receiver to find the current setting, and if it is
successful then the menu you see will have the option already set for you
(I think that one sets the option so that if you just click "send" it will
change the current setting -- for example, if static nav is off, it will
show the default as "on" so if you click "send" it will change the setting).

For your current case, scan until you find where the receiver is talking,
then command it back to NMEA at the right baud rate and you should be fine.