[Loadstone] Waas/Egnos (was: Loadstone seizing up)

Shawn Kirkpatrick shawn at odyssey.cm.nu
Sun Mar 18 00:59:55 GMT 2007

By default loadstone will try to turn waas/egnos on. This is configurable in
the misc settings. Now, this probably doesn't work for the most part. The
unit is probably (maybe) getting the propper command but from what I
understand they've been changing something to do with the waas satellite
numbers so a lot of gps receivers no longer can receive the waas signal. In
europe it's egnos, and I think that's supposed to be online now but I'm not
completely sure. To add to the fun different receivers use different
commands to turn this on and off. These commands aren't well documented and
can change with different manufacturers and you have to go searching the net
to try to find them. At some point loadstone will have a setting to choose
your receivers chipset. For example, the mtk chipset uses different commands
than the sirf chipset. From what I understand the royaltek receivers use
some of the same commands as the holux receivers but the commands for waas
and power saving are different. Unfortunately you never know if you've sent
the propper command because there's no acknowledgement from the receiver.
You can tell if you're getting waas/egnos by hitting key 3. If it says
differential gps fix fix then you have waas/egnos.
As for your royaltek not giving you the total number of satellites, that
probably means it's not sending the gpgsv message. It should be doing this
by default but if you've changed things with sirfdemo then it might be
switched off. You should be able to use sirfdemo to get this message
switched back on. The messages your receiver should send are: gpgga, gprmc,
gpgsv, and gpgsa. These should all be sent once per second except for gpgsv
that should be sent once every 5 seconds. The receiver may send other
messages but these are the important ones.