[Loadstone] Loadstone seizing up

Cearbhall O Meadhra cearbhall.omeadhra at idd.ie
Sat Mar 17 01:30:25 GMT 2007

Thanks, Sean,

You raise some very interesting points.

Firstly, I think we can discard any thoughts of inaccurate data as we
checked the co-ordinates in the points file with the co-ordinates displayed
under an aerial picture of the location. They matched perfectly. The
co-ordinates are available to us in ten decimal places but we are only
taking seven because that seems to be the max. that Loadstone will take.

I am interested in the drift idea. I have been complaining to Aedan and
Ronan since we began this work that my front door swings up to 30m away and
comes back again whilst I stand still. This is, I understand, more likely to
happen when standing near a vertical wall such as the front of a house.
However, it also happens when I stand on the Bray seafront where there are
no buildings for 100m around!

I had not understood the importance of the accuracy setting. I keep this to
zero in our points file. You point out that a zero setting will limit
Loadstone to an accuracy of 50m. That alone could explain the problem. What
is the highest value that the accuracy setting can have? I think we should
et our accuracy to that figure and see what happens.

I have not changed the default settings for anything except the max range
which I now keep down to 10k. I also carry the Holux receiver on my shoulder
tucked into the collar of my jacket so heavy
Clothing is not an issue.

I shall try out the points which you have highlighted and report back. Let's
hope I come back with full enlightenment and a face-splitting smile!

All the best,

Cearbhall

Tel: 01-2864623 Mob: 08333 23487 Em: secretary at idd.ie