[Loadstone] Loadstone seizing up

Shawn Kirkpatrick shawn at odyssey.cm.nu
Sat Mar 17 00:09:54 GMT 2007

You could be dealing with a few things here. The first is the accuracy of
the data. If you save a point using loadstone then the latitude and
longitude values are saved with 7 decimal places of accuracy. If you're
getting data from other sources then it may not be that accurate. Sometimes
the source will say what the accuracy is but not always. If that's the case
then the accuracy column for those points is set to 0. When that happens the
accuracy is defaulted to 50 meters when doing calculations for the
checkpoint announcements. Add all this to normal gps drift and things can
start to go wrong. This will also depend on what you have the approach time
and distence settings set to. If you change the defaults, especially the
approach distance, then things tend not to work right. The best way to
change the approach alarm is to use the approach time setting.
This also could be your gps receiver. Every time we've gotten reports of gps
receiver trouble it's been a holux. One way to test the drift of the
receiver would be to stand somewhere and make sure you have a good signal.
Then save that position as a point and then press the select key to see how
far you drift from your actual position. You might get better results
depending on how you carry the receiver. If it's in a lower pocket or
covered by heavy clothing etc. it might effect its accuracy. You'd have to
experiment with this.