[Loadstone] Accurate point entry

David Allen wd8ldy at xtra.co.nz
Sat Jun 30 04:29:53 BST 2007

Hi list!

Well this is probably a beginner's question, too, but I know everyone was a
beginner sometime.

I understand that positions marked inside wouldn't be accurate. I also
understand that entering points while stationary isn't useful. But here's
the thing. I've tried entering points outside while in motion and these
don't seem to be any more accurate than  the inside ones. How can I improve
on this? I recently was at a place where I entered a point yesterday.
Loadstone told me that the point was 12 Metres away at 12 o'clock. Now I
know exactly where I was.

I suspect the number of sattelites that are visible can be a factor in
making your position more accurate as well. Is there a way of improving on
that? I know that buildings can corrupt signals, so how far must you be from
a building to keep it from distorting your reception? Can a fence cause a
problem? For example, one of the points I entered is very near a fence and
it is taller than I am. Oh, the pains of being short. But anyway, these are
the things that I'm wondering as I begin to develop my own ideas about
entering points.

I wish there was a way of changing the measurements used. I can appreciuate
that I live in a metric country so everything here is in metres. But I find
it harder to reconcile the distances mentioned in my mind. After all, since
this is a personal thing we're doing for ourselves by entering points,
shouldn't we have measurements that make sense to us? Maybe this
functionality is already there, and I've missed it. If it isn't, perhaps it
could be looked at.

Cheers,
Dave