[Loadstone] MTK chipset, was Re: royaltek rbt 2110

Rob Melchers rob at loadstone-gps.com
Sat Jun 23 21:26:54 BST 2007

Hi Kevin,

Could you, without revieling the mysteries around this new super receiver,
explain waht has caused this superior suppression of signals distorted by
multi path reflection? In theory, MPR is responsible for a plus minus 3
meters degradation of accuracy. To say that the MTK chipset drastically
improves on distortion by MPR, means it should be eliminated completely.
Propagation in the ionospheric layers still is the major cause of
inaccuracy in GPS. I don't think the folks at MTK have found a way to
prevent sporadic E-layer reflection in the L1 band, reduced the effects of
magnetic distortion in the S-layer and know how to controll sunspots. The
results as I have seen them so far from receivers using the MTK chipset
show no superiorty over existing receivers. What I have seen is that a
predictive averaging model outpputs a smooth track at speeds of over 4 KpH
and that reducing a number of DOP masks results in a higher satellite
count. All this fits in nicely in the marketting efforts that MTK are using
to get their fair share in the receiver market. However, I'd rather wait
until I have something more solid to go on before committing to 'the latest
and therefore the best'.

Rob