[Loadstone] For Developpers: Future of LoadStone GPS

Shawn Kirkpatrick shawn at odyssey.cm.nu
Tue Jun 5 01:30:38 BST 2007

Hello.
If you're getting the no signal message try taking your gps receiver outside
where it has a clear view of the sky and starting everything up from there.
Depending on the receiver you may have to wait from 30 seconds to a couple
of minutes but you'll eventually get a signal. If you get the no signal
message then the receiver is connected to loadstone but just not getting
valid gps data yet.
As for your development questions, we do edit and compile the code under
linux. It'll compile under windows too but I haven't personally tried that.
To get it to compile under linux we're using the gnupoc project, it's a
patch to the symbian sdks to make them run under linux. If you're serious
about compiling loadstone then contact me off list and I can arrange to send
you the whole sdk package. We have the sdks for first, second, and third
editions so it's quite large, around 2 gigs.
As for your feature request, I'm not sure what you can do with these cell
sites. You can name them and that can be of some help, but there's no
coordinates of where they are so it would be quite difficult to coordinate
them with a map. Then there's the map data itself. This has proven to be
quite a problem to get for some countries. We have a lot of mapping data for
north america because Canada and the United states have released a lot of
data but a lot of countries in Europe don't seem to have data freely
available. As far as I know we have little to no data for Paris but you'd
have to check the point share site for that. Sometimes you can get map data
if you pay for it but then you can't distribute it to others. Maybe that
would work for a personal system but since loadstone and its map data are
under the GPL we like to incourage people to use and share free map data
whenever possible. If there's no official data for an area then we have to
count on the users to submit what they've collected. The more users in an
area the better the data should get over time.