[Loadstone] good gps recievers

Kevin Chao g.unit89 at clearwire.net
Sun Jul 22 03:43:47 BST 2007

Chris,

With GPS receivers becoming better and better, the only thing that is really
seperating them is battery life and sensativity. The best chipsets on the
market are the Sirf Star III or MTK. The MTK builds on the Sirf Star III in
the sense that it uses less battery power and it reduces some of the
multi-path issues encountered with the Sirf Star III. Multi-path is an issue
with GPS signals bouncing off of tall buildings and giving erronious
heading. I would recommend one of the following GPS recievers:
Holux GPSlim236; Sirf Star III; 8 hours
Holux M-1000; MTK; 17 hours

The 236 has waas enabled by default if you purchase it from Sendero  Group.
Sendero has worked with Holux to have this happen. The M-1000 has it enabled
by default. WAAS are ground satellites that improve on the accuracy of the
GPS signal, it can reduce the accuracy from 10 metres to 3 metres.

The M-1000 is the only GPS reciever using the new MTK chipset that I would
recommend as the majority of the other ones have serious issues at
pedestrian speeds.

Kevin