[Loadstone] Some feature suggestions.

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed Jul 11 13:20:46 BST 2007

[quoted lines by Shawn Kirkpatrick on 2007/07/11 at 03:28 -0700]

>The key 5 will have to be sorted out one way or another I guess.

While it certainly has its flaws at the moment, I'm still glad that it's out
there for use so that feedback can direct its final implemenation.

>Can you provide an example of the cartesian direction? I don't know what
>that would look like or how it's calculated.

It'd display something like "5.2 kilometers west 3.9 kilometers north". The
first number, i.e. the east/west distance, would be along the first latitude
from the first longitude to the second longitude. The second number, i.e.  the
north/south distance, would be the distance from the first latitude to the
second latitude. Now if it's decided to announce the north/south distance first
then the east/.west distance would logically have to be along the second
latitude. I think the east/west distance hsould be first, though, since the
horizontal distance is conventionally given first.

>I have to say you'd get an "a" for creative thinking for copying points from
>one database to another.

:-)

>That method would be rather complicated and could have a major problem. If any
>of the id and userid fields of the point you're copying overlap with a point
>in the target database then you could be overwriting data in the target
>database. This probably won't happen in normal opperation but if you're
>generating databases manually then the risk for that goes up.

I understand, and thank you for the cautionary warning.

>We'll look at putting in some kind of export checkpoints function.

Thank you.