[Loadstone] Several comments from a new user.

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sun Jul 8 17:16:04 BST 2007

[quoted lines by Shawn Kirkpatrick on 2007/07/08 at 02:46 -0700]

>There was some talk a while ago about making the navigation mode use compass
>directions when the speed dropped but it was decided that having reporting
>functions randomly changing there behaviour would cause a lot of confusion.

I understand, which is why I'm suggesting a setting to enable this mode so that
the user knows what he's doing to himself. Also, as long as the point and
expore directions are set to different formats it'll be clear from the
announcement which one is being used. I personally find the direction
information when below the static threshold to be rather untrustworthy right
now since the unseen/unheard jitter causes the direction to unpredictably jump
around without notice. A third possibility may be to simply omit the direction
information altogether in this case. Perhaps there should be a setting which
gives the user all three choices.

>Having every point announced as you approach just isn't going to happen any
>time soon. The main problem is the database engine in the phone, it's slow.
>There's just not enough computing power to be running all the selects you'd
>need for automatic point announcements and still be able to do anything
>else.

What about always being aware of the next point in the direction of current
motion?

Another possibility might be to check every five seconds or so, what the
nearest point is, and to announce its position if its close enough. That'd
achieve the same effect.

>In the next version of Loadstone the find point system has been completely
>rewritten. The new version allows you to override the search radius and
>takes place in the background. This should solve the lock up problem.

Excellent! In case you're curious, by the way, I was experimenting with using
Loadstone-GPS in a non-GPS way. I made a table of international locations, and
was just trying out browsing the map so I could learn where various
geographical points were in relation to one another.

While on this topic, I have a question about the point table. When updating it
during import, is it the id/time field or the name field which is used to
decide if an entry should be added or updated? If I generate the same table
again is it important to make sure that the id/name mapping is retained?

Again, in case you're curious, I'm making my tables via a Tcl script on Linux
which I wrote so that I can extract the plain text from any web site which
contains such data, edit it a bit by hand to make the format somewhat
predictable, and then run it through my script to produce the table.

>The program doesn't really lock up, it just appears dead since it's taking all
>resources to do the search.

I thought that might be the case but it was hard to tell. After waiting a very
long time (like 20 minutes or so) I gave up.

>If you go in to exploration mode and you have no signal or the gps isn't
>connected you will start at your last gps coordinates. These will save
>accross program runs.

Okay, this does seem to work. I don't remember any more why I tghought it
didn't.

Pressing 5 in Exploration Mode doesn't give the current point's position
relative to the last GPS position, though, when there's no signal. It'd be nice
if it did.

One more suggestion came to mind: In my city (see signature below), probably as
in most, the streets aren't GPS-friendly, i.e. they're on an angle rather than
being strictly north/south and east/west. Where I live the angle seems to be
about 30 degrees (well, actually, 330 degrees). One way for Loadstone-GPS to
"follow" a street, which I realize is technically impossible since it's
points-based, might be to have a setting which favours longer substring matches
on point names when the eligible points are reasonably close together.

Is there a way to list the currently checked points?