[Loadstone] Initial questions about the LoadStone program and sites such as geocoder.net

Rob Melchers rob at loadstone-gps.com
Fri Jul 6 07:44:09 BST 2007

Hi Vic,

"3. I have read that Loadstone POI Conversion program can import maps
>from Google Earth; is this information accurate?"

Loadstone does not convert maps. The GeoCoder uses the Google database of
addresses to look up the coordinates of an address. This information is
presented both as coordinates and as a dataline that can be merged into a
Loadstone database. The POI converter takes .csv files as found on the
internet containing POI's in Name/Lat/Long format (or any other oreder) and
with some tweaking allows for conversion to the Loadstone database format.
Experimenting with these tools learns that they can be used in cooperation
with each other. Summarizing, Loadstone GPS is a point based navigational
tool without routing and mapping facilities, but some kind of self-made
maps can be obtained by using the tools as presented on the Loadstone website.

Hth,

Rob