[Loadstone] Route Question

Michael O. Hanson mhanson at winternet.com
Thu Jan 18 14:47:35 GMT 2007

Dear Fellow Loadstone Users:

I finally have center line and shelter data for the Appalachian Trail loaded
on my phone.  Thanks to rob and other loadstone developers for being more
patient and letting less of their frustration with some of my more stupid
mistakes show than I deserved.  Needless to say, I have these files backed
up in several places.

I am planning to lay out a route now.  I will probably edit the last
position file to make Loadstone think I am at various points along the AT
and check points of interest, such as shelter locations and center points
near shelters.  I plan to leave my GPS receiver off while laying out this
route to prevent Loadstone confusing my current position with where I want
it to think I am.  I hope that will allow my phone to work more quickly and
process data more efficiently than if I work from Minneapolis and try to lay
out a route, for example, in Georgia.  I will set a small enough search
radius to allow Loadstone to process relatively small numbers of points.  I
am considering something between ten and one hundred kilometers (six and
sixty miles or so).  I have over sixteen thousand points covering just over
two thousand miles to work with.  Asking Loadstone or any other adapted GPS
program I know of to work with files that large over such distances does not
seem particularly efficient.

I have three questions before I try this idea.  First, when I turn Loadstone
on and connect my GPS receiver, is the last position file updated to reflect
my current position?  I assume it is but would rather double check.

Second, should I do anything about the default database when I edit the last
position file?  If so, what?  My default database is for the Twin Cities in
Minnesota.  It is also backed up.

Thanks,

Mike Hanson