[Loadstone] Loadstone Digest, Vol 7, Issue 7

Michael O. Hanson mhanson at winternet.com
Sun Jan 14 13:43:21 GMT 2007


Once again, thank you.  I suppose I could try installing Loadstone on my 
phone's memory, import the database for the AT into it, and then go from 
there.  There is one point I noticed.  I don't know if this has any bearing 
on the issue.  While importing data, Loadstone will recognize points through 
about 300.  After that, things don't work.  Does that change any of the 
information below?

Thanks Again,


Mike Hanson

----- Original Message ----- 
From: <loadstone-request at loadstone-gps.com>
To: <loadstone at loadstone-gps.com>
Sent: Sunday, January 14, 2007 6:00 AM
Subject: Loadstone Digest, Vol 7, Issue 7


> Send Loadstone mailing list submissions to
> loadstone at loadstone-gps.com
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> http://www.loadstone-gps.com/mailman/listinfo/loadstone
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> loadstone-request at loadstone-gps.com
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> loadstone-owner at loadstone-gps.com
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Loadstone digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>   1. Hopefully, Last Question (Michael O. Hanson)
>   2. Re: Hopefully, Last Question (Rob Melchers)
>   3. Re: Hopefully, Last Question (Shawn Kirkpatrick)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 12:11:17 -0600
> From: "Michael O. Hanson" <mhanson at winternet.com>
> Subject: [Loadstone] Hopefully, Last Question
> To: <loadstone at loadstone-gps.com>
> Message-ID: <000d01c7373e$390075e0$ac42f6cc at MIKEHANSON>
> Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
> reply-type=original
>
> I got a database containing center points for the Appalachian Trail to 
> load
> and import.  Loadstone doesn't bounce me back to the phone's main menu at
> this time.
>
> When I try to find points in the database, I get nothing at all.  My phone
> doesn't seem to say or do anything.  It seems to freeze up.
>
> I can think of four possible explanations for this but don't know which 
> one,
> if any is correct.  There may be others.  I use a Nokia 6680 with Mobile
> Speak.  My carrier is T-Mobile.
>
> I have Loadstone, Mobile Speak, and my databases on a memory card, which 
> is
> almost full.  If this is the problem, I expect to upgrade the memory card 
> by
> several times its current capacity in the next week or two.
>
> The second explanation has to do with the fact that I live 800 miles or so
> from the closest point on the Appalachian Trail.  I set a five thousand 
> mile
> search radius in Loadstone.  Is the distance between me and the 
> Appalachian
> Trail what's causing this problem?
>
> I suppose a third explanation could be related to having more than one
> database loaded at a time.  I believe loading a second database removes 
> the
> default database from memory.  Is that correct?  If so, loading a second
> database should take care of the problem.
>
> A fourth potential explanation has to do with the fact that I accidentally
> tried to load data fro the Appalachian Trail into my default database.  If
> this is the problem, I backed up my default database and can restore it.
>
> Thank You,
>
>
> Mike Hanson
>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 21:44:02 +0100
> From: Rob Melchers <rob at loadstone-gps.com>
> Subject: Re: [Loadstone] Hopefully, Last Question
> To: General discussion pertaining to the Loadstone GPS program
> <loadstone at loadstone-gps.com>
> Message-ID: <5.2.1.1.2.20070113214327.00a77910 at mail.loadstone-gps.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> You've got all the points covered minus 'do you have the latest version of
> Loadstone GPS installed?'. Looking for points that are 800 miles away
> doesn't work with a search radius of 500 miles. Try to set it to 1000
> miles. The phone may take it's time to search such an area. Try to clean 
> up
> the MMC, use FExplorer to look for stuff that may be deleted, or go for a
> bigger card. Merging the data with the data in the default database should
> be no problem, although it makes sense to create a new database for the AT
> data. The phone get's slower with bigger databases. The 'div20' file I 
> sent
> you took about 10 minutes to import into the custom database I created for
> this purpose. Wait until the 'added x points, updated x points, ignored x
> points' message is spoken.
>
> Rob
>
> At 1/13/2007, you wrote:
>>I got a database containing center points for the Appalachian Trail to 
>>load
>>and import.  Loadstone doesn't bounce me back to the phone's main menu at
>>this time.
>>
>>When I try to find points in the database, I get nothing at all.  My phone
>>doesn't seem to say or do anything.  It seems to freeze up.
>>
>>I can think of four possible explanations for this but don't know which 
>>one,
>>if any is correct.  There may be others.  I use a Nokia 6680 with Mobile
>>Speak.  My carrier is T-Mobile.
>>
>>I have Loadstone, Mobile Speak, and my databases on a memory card, which 
>>is
>>almost full.  If this is the problem, I expect to upgrade the memory card 
>>by
>>several times its current capacity in the next week or two.
>>
>>The second explanation has to do with the fact that I live 800 miles or so
>>from the closest point on the Appalachian Trail.  I set a five thousand 
>>mile
>>search radius in Loadstone.  Is the distance between me and the 
>>Appalachian
>>Trail what's causing this problem?
>>
>>I suppose a third explanation could be related to having more than one
>>database loaded at a time.  I believe loading a second database removes 
>>the
>>default database from memory.  Is that correct?  If so, loading a second
>>database should take care of the problem.
>>
>>A fourth potential explanation has to do with the fact that I accidentally
>>tried to load data fro the Appalachian Trail into my default database.  If
>>this is the problem, I backed up my default database and can restore it.
>>
>>Thank You,
>>
>>
>>Mike Hanson
>>
>>
>>
>>_______________________________________________
>>Loadstone mailing list
>>Loadstone at loadstone-gps.com
>>http://www.loadstone-gps.com/mailman/listinfo/loadstone
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: 
> http://www.loadstone-gps.com/pipermail/loadstone/attachments/20070113/2f1eb5bf/attachment-0001.html
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 17:33:07 -0800 (PST)
> From: Shawn Kirkpatrick <shawn at odyssey.cm.nu>
> Subject: Re: [Loadstone] Hopefully, Last Question
> To: General discussion pertaining to the Loadstone GPS program
> <loadstone at loadstone-gps.com>
> Message-ID: <Pine.LNX.4.63.0701131715360.8183 at odyssey.cm.nu>
> Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed
>
> You'll be hitting a few problems here and they all come together to make
> things very slow. The first problem will be your distance from the 
> starting
> point of the database. If that's 800 miles then the phone will have to
> search thrue that area before coming to anything. You'll have to set your
> max search radius to be further than that. This radius is measured in
> kilometers, not miles so you'll have to do a bit of converting or just set 
> a
> very high number. The second problem is probably the size of the database.
> The database engine in the phone is pure crap so the larger the database 
> the
> slower it goes. Once you get into valid data thoe it should respond fine.
> The next problem is that you have things on a memory card. With large
> databases this probably can't be avoided but it will slow things down by
> orders of magnitude. The best fix for this would be to get a high quality
> memory card. Maybe something from kingston or another name brand memory
> maker. A card that actually has its specs listed. You want something with 
> a
> fast read speed and hopefully a fast write speed. Not sure how much this
> will help, I don't know if the slow down is the card or the way the phone
> accesses it but having a faster card couldn't hurt.
> The program will eventually find a starting point but it may take a very
> long time. If you want to look at this database then you may be better off
> to edit loadstone's last_position file and change the latitude and 
> longitude
> numbers in that file to point to a point in your database. That way when 
> you
> start loadstone without your gps receiver connected you'd be at a position
> in your database and then you could explore it with a reasonable response
> time. The file is in the loadstone directory and is called last_position.
> It's a text file with exactly two lines. The first line is the latitude 
> and
> the second line is the longitude. These values are real numbers, not
> integers like in loadstone databases so keep that in mind if editing them.
> This file isn't really meant to be edited by the user so there's no error
> checking done when reading it. I wouldn't start with the coordinates of 
> the
> first point in the database, use a point further along so when you're
> exploring you don't wander off the edge of the database and get stuck as 
> the
> phone goes on another very long search.
>
> On Sat, 13 Jan 2007, Michael O. Hanson wrote:
>
>> I got a database containing center points for the Appalachian Trail to 
>> load
>> and import.  Loadstone doesn't bounce me back to the phone's main menu at
>> this time.
>>
>> When I try to find points in the database, I get nothing at all.  My 
>> phone
>> doesn't seem to say or do anything.  It seems to freeze up.
>>
>> I can think of four possible explanations for this but don't know which 
>> one,
>> if any is correct.  There may be others.  I use a Nokia 6680 with Mobile
>> Speak.  My carrier is T-Mobile.
>>
>> I have Loadstone, Mobile Speak, and my databases on a memory card, which 
>> is
>> almost full.  If this is the problem, I expect to upgrade the memory card 
>> by
>> several times its current capacity in the next week or two.
>>
>> The second explanation has to do with the fact that I live 800 miles or 
>> so
>> from the closest point on the Appalachian Trail.  I set a five thousand 
>> mile
>> search radius in Loadstone.  Is the distance between me and the 
>> Appalachian
>> Trail what's causing this problem?
>>
>> I suppose a third explanation could be related to having more than one
>> database loaded at a time.  I believe loading a second database removes 
>> the
>> default database from memory.  Is that correct?  If so, loading a second
>> database should take care of the problem.
>>
>> A fourth potential explanation has to do with the fact that I 
>> accidentally
>> tried to load data fro the Appalachian Trail into my default database. 
>> If
>> this is the problem, I backed up my default database and can restore it.
>>
>> Thank You,
>>
>>
>> Mike Hanson
>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Loadstone mailing list
>> Loadstone at loadstone-gps.com
>> http://www.loadstone-gps.com/mailman/listinfo/loadstone
>>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> Loadstone mailing list
> Loadstone at loadstone-gps.com
> http://www.loadstone-gps.com/mailman/listinfo/loadstone
>
>
> End of Loadstone Digest, Vol 7, Issue 7
> ***************************************
> 




More information about the Loadstone mailing list