[Loadstone] Hopefully, Last Question

Shawn Kirkpatrick shawn at odyssey.cm.nu
Sun Jan 14 01:33:07 GMT 2007

You'll be hitting a few problems here and they all come together to make
things very slow. The first problem will be your distance from the starting
point of the database. If that's 800 miles then the phone will have to
search thrue that area before coming to anything. You'll have to set your
max search radius to be further than that. This radius is measured in
kilometers, not miles so you'll have to do a bit of converting or just set a
very high number. The second problem is probably the size of the database.
The database engine in the phone is pure crap so the larger the database the
slower it goes. Once you get into valid data thoe it should respond fine.
The next problem is that you have things on a memory card. With large
databases this probably can't be avoided but it will slow things down by
orders of magnitude. The best fix for this would be to get a high quality
memory card. Maybe something from kingston or another name brand memory
maker. A card that actually has its specs listed. You want something with a
fast read speed and hopefully a fast write speed. Not sure how much this
will help, I don't know if the slow down is the card or the way the phone
accesses it but having a faster card couldn't hurt.
The program will eventually find a starting point but it may take a very
long time. If you want to look at this database then you may be better off
to edit loadstone's last_position file and change the latitude and longitude
numbers in that file to point to a point in your database. That way when you
start loadstone without your gps receiver connected you'd be at a position
in your database and then you could explore it with a reasonable response
time. The file is in the loadstone directory and is called last_position.
It's a text file with exactly two lines. The first line is the latitude and
the second line is the longitude. These values are real numbers, not
integers like in loadstone databases so keep that in mind if editing them.
This file isn't really meant to be edited by the user so there's no error
checking done when reading it. I wouldn't start with the coordinates of the
first point in the database, use a point further along so when you're
exploring you don't wander off the edge of the database and get stuck as the
phone goes on another very long search.