[Loadstone] Distance Calculation

Shawn Kirkpatrick shawn at odyssey.cm.nu
Sat Feb 17 00:57:59 GMT 2007

It's true that data you can get commercially would have the needed
information. However, loadstone is free and open source so this means that
we're not going to implement features that require the user obtain
commercial data in order to use.
You wonder how the database works with half a million points? I don't know,
I wouldn't even consider loading that much data in to it, the results would
be very slow I'd guess. The way comercial gps units do all this is one of
two ways. In the case of a dedicated unit the programs they run can be
optimized to the specific hardware and don't have to worry about doing
anything else. In the case of some phone products like wayfinder they do a
lot of there calculations on an external server. This requires you to have a
data plan to use. This may go in to loadstone at some point but we'd like to
avoid that for a while until the costs of data plans become somewhat
reasonable and having one is the norm rather than an acception. This is the
case in some places but not everywhere.
As for inporting points, the accuracy column is used in approach distance
calculations. The satellites column is mainly informational and the priority
column is used to indicate private, restricted, or deleted. If you're
converting points it's best to leave this at 0 unless the data is something
you don't want to put out on the general point share site. In that case
you'd set priority to 2. You only need to do this in the case of commercial
data that can't be freely distributed.