[Loadstone] Distance Calculation

Hasan Karahasan karahasan at onlinehome.de
Fri Feb 16 11:29:08 GMT 2007

Hello,
currently the distance between points is obviously calculated by coordinate
differences as linear distance. That's very important and should remain as
it is. But it would be great to see also the approximate distance a
pedestrian has to go or a car has to drive for a certain route.

Of course this needs many points to be accurate. Think we have every house
coordinates of the streets in a certain area, than we could calculate the
distance as the sum of distances between a given start point and its closest
neighbour towards the end point. Running this algorithm until we reach our
end point should give quite realistic values for the distance. The more
points along a street we have, the more accurate the result will be. Street
crossings and curves would produce some source of defect unless we have the
coordinates of the crossing itself. But I think we can neglect this
malfunction for the first.

How about implementing that?

Tanks
Hasan