[Loadstone] cell monitoring

monty at loadstone-gps.com monty at loadstone-gps.com
Wed Feb 14 06:55:58 GMT 2007

Hello,

I haven't personally experienced tinted windows effecting my GPS signal;
however, I have had trouble on certain trains and taxis.  In particular
Voyager trains owned by Virgin in the UK plus newer black cabs also in the
UK.  The problem in both cases is that there is a layer of metal acting as
a faraday cage within the window causing a severe degrigation in signal -
not only for GPS receivers, but also mobile phones.  This metalic layer is
in place to strengthen the window in case of vandelism.

And yes, I'll preempt the obvious question by saying that the metalic
layer still allows people to see clearly through the window!

Best regards,
   Monty