[Loadstone] West bound inconsistency in exploration mode.

Geoff Waaler gwaaler at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 12 07:43:30 GMT 2007

Hi y'all (and since I live 35 degrees and change North I get to say this!!),

I finally put together a test case documenting what I believe to be a bug in
loadstone when it calculates the nearest point to the West in exploration
mode.  I am running the "all other phone models" 0.66 version of loadstone
dated 2/1/07 on a Nokia 6682.  In case it matters my 6682 is locked to
Cingular with the latest available firmware (4.65).

I obtained pointshare data for a five mile area around latitude 41.9709,
longitude -87.7018.  My last_position file points to: 41.99152,-87.655756
which in English translates to a hundred yards North of Sheridan Rd. and
Thorndale in Chicago, IL.

When I begin exploration mode and press the 8 key I am taken to Thorndale
and Sheridan as expected.  When I press the four key two blocks are skipped
which will be found on the way back east.  Here are the relevant
coordinances:

Eastern point is Sheridan Rd. and Thorndale = 41.990431, -87.655756
First block West is Kenmore and Thorndale = 41.990431,-87.657156
Second block West is Winthrop and Thorndale= 41.990431,-87.658556
Third block West is Broadway and Thorndale = 41.990231,-87.660656

As you can see Thorndale avenue follows a direct latitudinal line for those
two blocks where the points are missed during west bound exploration.
Thorndale avenue drifts a little South when intersecting with Broadway.  Of
course we are relying on the accuracy of data pointshare managed to obtain,
but for our purposes it serves to illustrate the problem.  I believe that
since the six key locates those two points during the virtual East bound
trip from Broadway it would be reasonable to expect the West bound trip from
Sheridan to land on those points also.

Thanks for putting together a great software app!!
Geoff