[Loadstone] SIRF3.2: disfunctional receiver?

monty at loadstone-gps.com monty at loadstone-gps.com
Mon Feb 5 15:48:18 GMT 2007

Hello Neill,

I will address both of your issues below and someone can comment further
if they wish...

The fact that you experience drift while standing still is a feature of
the SIRF star 3 chipset. (I say feature facetiously)  Readings tend to go
all over the place when standing still.  The best thing to do here is to
ignore the result or set your "Static Threshold"  setting in the
Options/Settings  menu.  (More on this in the documentation)  I personally
set my Static Threshold to 3.

When you say you notice distance to a particular point is somewhat off ,
are you referring to a point you created yourself under good conditions,
or are you  using a intersection point downloaded from the Point Share
Exchange?  if it is the latter, the intersection points will always be a
bit off as you have to figure the person/company  in charge of creating
the US street data  may have been anywhere on the road/intersection  when
they measured coordinates.

I often tell people "GPS recievers will find the building - not the door"
so I'd say 10-20 metres to an intersection is pretty good!
Bluetooth functionallity normally is all down to the implementation in a
particular phone or firmware on the phone.  Some models of phones have a
better implementation than others.  This includes some phones thinking
that the Bluetooth device is still connected even when the Bluetooth
device is switched off.  The best practice normally is:

1. Switch Bluetooth to "on" on your phone.
2.  Switch your GPS receiver "on".
3.  Launch Loadstone on your phone.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,