[Loadstone] Release Level QuestionRe: Loadstone GPS V0.66 released

Tom Lange trlange at pacbell.net
Sat Feb 3 05:17:40 GMT 2007

Hi Shawn and anyone else who cares to address this.

I was looking at the Loadstone web site tonight and was very interested in
what it had to say about pre-alpha, alpha, beta, stable and deprecated
release levels. It seems to me that those designations are certainly valid,
but I began wondering about some things. Often, during a development cycle,
there are private betas and public betas, and, when the public beta cycles
have run their course, the program is considered to be stable, ready for
prime time and is released for public consumption.  Did V0.66 go through
some sort of private beta testing before being released as a beta for the
general public, or was the private beta dispensed with?  Since V0.66 is
given a beta designation, how solid is the code?  I ask these questions not
to belittle the Loadstone team's efforts, quite the contrary in fact.  I'm
just wondering about this because some folks, myself included, have shied
away from installing beta releases of any program and opted to wait until
the program is officially considered to be stable.  Actually, I'm favorably
impressed with what I've experience in v0.65 and I'm really curious about
and anxious to try out v0.66.

Best regards,
Tom