[Loadstone] Free Address-Based Coordinate Look-up Tool

Michael O. Hanson mhanson at winternet.com
Fri Feb 2 14:12:21 GMT 2007

Fellow Loadstone Users:

Some of you might find this useful.  If you do, great.

I found a free tool you can use to look up coordinates for addresses.  It
seems to have addresses for quite a few different countries.

It will give you data for particular towns, zip codes, or individual
addresses.  I believe you can enter multiple addresses but have not tried to
do that yet.  If you have incomplete addresses, it will search and give you
its best guess.  Check its best guess before assuming it is accurate.  Data
seem fairly accurate but use at your own risk.

The website is http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert?form=address.  Enter the
address without the period at the end of the sentence.

You can use this program to enter names of towns if you want coordinates for
particular towns.  You can enter zipcodes and get coordinates for them in
the US.  If you know the street address, you can enter the address and get
coordinates for it.

You get a list of coordinates.  Latitude and longitude seem to use decimal
notation.  I used notepad to create a file format that looks like this
"name",lat,lon, where "name is the name of the location, such as Cretin
Durham Hall High School".  Lat is the latitude.  Lon is the longitude.  I
cut and paste the coordinates in using decimal notation.  Loadstone's
converter will convert points based on that format.

Mike Hanson