[Loadstone] app installed in main memory; DB on memory card: a needed refinement

Alan loadstone-l at as2.info
Sun Dec 9 16:12:55 GMT 2007

Hello, I was looking for a simple GPS solution without the requirement
for interactive data services (Wayfinder, whose service model raises
cost and privacy issues.) Google led me to Loadstone and I think it will
be a winner. (Patiently waiting for my GPS receiver as a gift.) In the
meantime I've been playing with the software.

I have a Nokia E70, which has 64 MB of internal memory. However I do
have a 2 GB memory card installed. I wanted wide coverage over two
metropolitan areas, so I downloaded base data sets from the points
exchange and used Perl scripts to slice and dice the datasets into
smaller database files that were somewhat geometrically rational.
(Basically, for each metro area I drew a circle around my home base and
put all the points within this core circle into the database. Then for
the larger concentric circle I removed all the core points and then used
longitude and latitude to divide the "hollowed out" dataset into four
90-degree arcs.)

Anyway, my datasets total about 26 MB. So what I'm doing is saving the
database files to the memory card, and then I would load each file into
memory as I needed it.

My comment is that when I choose Load Database from the file menu, since
Loadstone application is installed to main memory, I need to select ".."
four times, then down to main memory card, and then to the loadstone
folder on that memory card. This simple task of loading a database from
the memory card is very tedious.

A much-needed refinement would be to make this dialog two tabs: the
first tab is for browsing main memory (or wherever the application is
installed) and the second tab, accessible via right joystick, would be
to browse the other storage device.

Thoughts?

Regards,

Alan