[Loadstone] User Range Error

Rob Melchers rob at loadstone-gps.com
Mon Dec 3 11:37:27 GMT 2007

Because a lot of LS users didn't know what to do with the accuracy value
that is obtained from the receiver we followed a rule of thumb that says
that multiplying that value by 8 gives sort of an accuracy reading in
meters. So, if the receiver gives an accuracy value of 1.5, this results in
an estimated accuracy of 12 meters, the range in which you can be sure your
target lies. If you increase the multiplication factor, the result
obviously becomes greater, meaning a lesser accuracy. Since in urban
canyons reception is less accurate it makes sence to 'translate' the
receivers reading into something less accurate. Another interpretation of
the accuracy values coming from the receiver can be found in the list on
the 'GPS receivers: how they work' page. It's like with miles and
kilometers, you can express the same features using different measures, the
real distance stays the same.

Rob