[Loadstone] No Signal and Signal Acquired transitions.

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Fri Aug 10 19:40:29 BST 2007

[quoted lines by Charlie Richardson on 2007/08/10 at 13:28 -0400]

>So, how far is too far north.

There may be no limit.

>I'm at 42.6 and wonder how many miles per degree.

That varies a lit, depending on where you are, because the earth isn't a
perfect sphere. It's okay, though, if one only wants to be approximate, to
pretend that it is. The circumjference of the earth at the equator is 24902
miles, and there are 360 degrees in a cicle. That means that there are
24902/360 miles per degree, which works out to 69.

Now that's only (approximately) true for latitudes, since they're the same
distance apart no matter which longitude you're at since latitudes go
horizontally around the earth. Longitudes, however, which go vertically from
pole to pole, are farthest apart at the equator and get closer and closer
together as you approach the poles until there's no distance at all between
them right at the poles.