[Loadstone] approach announcement

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Fri Aug 10 01:53:16 BST 2007

[quoted lines by Charlie Richardson on 2007/08/09 at 19:56 -0400]

>I show check points only and have no major reason to know exactly where I am
>on a normal basis.

But that's why applications like Loadstone are configurable. You may live a
very predictable and uncomplicated life. I, on the other hand, with thirteen
children and lots of varying and unpredictable things to do, live a mroe
complex life. You oughtn't assume that your needs are sufficiently adequate to
constrain the ways in which anyone else either needs to, or would like to, use
any particular application.

Also please note that, unlike your assumption, I'm not talking about making
every single intersection a checkpoint. What I've done, which, in general,
works very well, is to make every major intersection a checkpoint. This makes
it extremely easy for me to go anywhere I happen to need to go as my complex
life proceeds from one unpredictable moment to the next.

Now I'm just discussing ways that would not only benefit myself, but might
also, when properly designed, benefit all other Loadstone users as well.
Loadstone is a wonderful application, but I'm sure it didn't become that except
for its designers' patient insistance on continually improving it, and such
improvements never come about when people simply settle for the fact that it's
already usable enough for their own needs.