[Loadstone] approach announcement

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Aug 9 14:29:11 BST 2007

[quoted lines by Shawn Kirkpatrick on 2007/08/09 at 01:51 -0700]

>I'm not sure how you'd do this. You couldn't just announce what's straight
>ahead since you may be approaching a point on a turn. In that case you might
>be too close by the time it was straight ahead.

The current algorithm is fine if the points don't overlap. I'm merely
suggesting a way to arbitrate if they do overlap.

How does Isolate Checkpoint do it for the keypad? Perhaps there could be a
similar mode for the announcement.

>If you have overlapping points then the points are too close together or your
>approach time is a bit too high.

Well ... there are conflicting requirements. The faster one is going eitehr the
higher the approach time needs to be or the quicker his reaction time needs to
be. It has also been argued that there should be fewer checkpoints, but that,
too, has its inconveniences, i.e. one either has to give up having a general
awareness of where he is or must restrict his areas of travel to only familiar
areas and maintain several specific checkpoint subsets.

>I think there's more explanation of this effect in the docs some place, it's
>come up before.

I think I'm familiar enough with the way it is. Perhaps I shouldn't be, but I'm
just not a status quo kind of guy. I have a terrible habit of always looking
for potential improvements and then daring to suggest them. In this case I find
myself wondering why, if the Isolate Checkpoint algorithm is good enough for
the keypad, why it wouldn't be good enough for the announcements too (under a
separate setting, of course).