[Loadstone] approach announcement

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Aug 9 03:17:40 BST 2007

[quoted lines by Shawn Kirkpatrick on 2007/08/08 at 18:45 -0700]

>The max approach distance is only used as a fall back if the approach time
>failes due to a very low speed that stops the unit from registering that
>you're moving.

I understand.

>The system works by calculating a radius around each checkpoint. That radius
>is calculated based on your current speed, the approach time in seconds, the
>current gps accuracy, and the accuracy at the time the point was saved.

Okay .. I didn't realize that the two accuracies were factored in.

>When you enter the radius of a checkpoint then it's announced. If the points
>are close together or you have the approach time set high then these
>radiuses can overlap and you get multiple points being announced.

Yes, that's consistent with what happens. Can this be enhanced a bit? For
example, could it select from among the overlapping circles and only announce
the one which is most straight ahead, the one which is closest, or some clever
combination of these?