[Loadstone] approach announcement

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Aug 9 01:53:27 BST 2007

[quoted lines by Shawn Kirkpatrick on 2007/08/08 at 17:09 -0700]

>This is pretty much what it does. The checkpoints just work on distance and
>announce the closest one. If you have points close together then you might
>bounce between them mainly because of gps drift or changes in approach
>angle.

I'm not sure it's working right, then. I tried (as an experiment) setting the
Max Approach Distance really high and it started to try to announce a whole lot
of points at once, some of which were much farther away than others.

Perhaps the problem is that the software reacts too quickly when deciding that
the current motion is away from the selected point. Perhaps waiting a couple of
seconds to be sure would resolve it.

Speaking of the Max Approach Distance setting, I've noticed something else.
When I set it to 10 then it typically gives the announcement when the distance
is around 40. When I set it to 45 then it announces when the distance is about
90. At least the announcement itself contains those higher numbers. I'm not
sure, but I suspect I'm actually much closer to the point than the number in
the announcement. I tried with all three distance units and the result was
always the same.