[Loadstone] describing and storing complex points

Hasan Karahasan karahasan at onlinehome.de
Tue Aug 7 18:48:02 BST 2007

How could we store complex objects like borders of countries, rivers, seas,
oceans and similar?

Surely this is not interesting when walking in our home town. But I often
use ls in exploration mode to simply explore the world.
I think of storing such a complex object as a collection of points belonging
together. The area within this edge points then could be recognized as
probably being the atlantic ocean or what ever. I know that for example the
border line of a country is never an exact straight line. So this would only
be a approximation of the discussed area. Or think of a kind of "where am I"
question. You need at least hundreds of points to say reliably that you are
within the area  of a metropolitan city. If you are unlucky ls will claim
that you are not in the city but in a suburb or village near by because its
point is closer to you than those of your down-town. Storing areas with some
edge coordinates would solve this with an acceptable acuracy. Of course, the
more edge point you have the better the area is described.

Hasan