[Loadstone] Point type/class

Mikolaj Rotnicki mikolaj-rotnicki at o2.pl
Wed Apr 11 21:51:37 BST 2007

Hello!

> Think of the future: Sooner or later we'll have POIs like Bus stops and
> Routes like Bus #66 with the possibility to get time table data from the
> internet. We shouldn't be forced than, to rebuild all our databases, like
> others forced in the moment. And that all, just because of 3 bytes to
> save.

Speaking of time tables - in my city Poznan, Poland - it is not a future -
its a reality! I use "Ginger" a java application that shows current
timetables for each tram or bus line/route in my city. A special version of
Ginger - called GingerBlu (BLU stands for "blind and low vision users") is
specially adjusted to work with Talks or Mobilespeak. Moreover it doesn't
need an internet connection as it holds whole time table in phones memory!.

Using LS I have gathered all tram stops (251) in Poznan, and using a list of
checkpoints I have created tram routes. Now I am able to hear announcements
when approaching a tram-stop on a particular tram route/line.

Combination of LS and GingerBlu makes almost a complete solution for blind
people in Poznan travelling by public city transport.

Mikolaj rotnicki