[Loadstone] Point type/class

Teddy hackelberriwien at online-rudel.net
Wed Apr 11 07:38:07 BST 2007

Hi Rob,

> 'simple to use or to implement'

Perhaps You've used the time to think about ... and discoverd the following
on your own. If not, please let me explane, that it is simple to use and
simple to implement and in the same time much more efficient, than
evrything, that exists from the professionals

So lets talk about simple solutions and usability’s.

You have a Table for the categories:
TBLCats:
ID;String16;Unic index
Caption;String;64;Unic index

Of course this table has to exist in several languages later

You have a second table:
TBLPoisAndCats
POIID;?;?;Index
CatID;String;16;Index

Now a user will give a category to a POI:
Steps:
1.	We have a POI ID in the variable POIID
2.	SQL: Select Caption, ID From TBLCaps Order By Caption
3.	Store the ID of the selected category in CatID
4.	Add a Record to TBLPoisAndCats with POIID = POIID and CatID = CatID.
For example the POI #1234 was a Hiking trail the Line would look like that:
TBLPoisAndCats:1234;1.1.5.

Now the User looks for a mound of POIs (X1):
1.	Select Caption, ID From TBLCats Order By Caption
2.	Perhaps he selects “Parking place / parking garage” the ID will be
1.1.4.
3.	Select maching POIs like that: Select POIID From TBLPoisAndCats
Where CatID Is Like “1.1.4.*”
4.	Our Hiking trail wont come out as a result. That’s clear: A
parkingareia is not a walking way!

Now the User looks for a mound of POIs (X2):
1.	Select Caption, ID From TBLCats Order By Caption
2.	Perhaps he selects “Streets and places” the ID will be 1.1.
3.	Select maching POIs like that: Select POIID From TBLPoisAndCats
Where CatID Is Like “1.1.*”
4.	Our Hiking trail will come out as a result. Also evry parking areas,
stairs and Shopping malls. I think this is good that way.

As You saw, the depth of classes and subclasses only depend of the size of
TBLCats.ID. And the User never sees any thing of this.

You’ve done much more complicated things in the past.

Regards

Teddy