[Loadstone] Point type/class

Rob Melchers rob at loadstone-gps.com
Tue Apr 10 21:36:39 BST 2007

Hi Teddy,

Hmm, an interesting topic indeed and one that the last word has not been
spoken about yet. Still, semantics serve a purpose as long as they are
accessible and usable. I've designed the odd database in my time and see
them die, because users couldn't appreciate the complexity. Also your
remark 'simple to use or to implement' is valid. We're dealing with a phone
that doesn't support the kind of database flexibility we should want, so
like is the case in electronics, psychology and philosophy, we shall have
to find a compromise. Having said thhat, if the need arises to create more
dimensions it's never too late. For the moment we want users to be able to
download POI's that adhere to a simple class description. If you're going
on a journey you will want to get the 'transportation' POI's, put them in a
seperate database and have them ready for use when you need them. If all
you need are railway stations, the type description will suffice to make a
database of stations. The same goes forr 'food', entertainment' and
'worship'. Like I stated, the list of classes is not yet what it should be
right now. This is a first attempt to come to some kind of classification,
lets see where a simple system takes us and then decide if augmentation is
called for.

Rob