[Loadstone] Point type/class

Teddy hackelberriwien at online-rudel.net
Tue Apr 10 16:20:16 BST 2007

Hi all,
> What we need is a list of words that describe a point...

I think, such a system should satisfy the following:
i.	Not only the needs of car drivers and tourists should be included
ii.	It should be possible to give one and the same POI more than one
category
iii.	A somehow cathegory is better than no category
I spent a lot of time to find such a system months ago and didn’t find one.

So I’m well prepared for this question now. But before giving you the list,
let me, explane some of my thoughts:
-	In some places in the world, You can be glad, if You find a street
or way at all. In other places You might wisch, to exclude some kinds of
streets or ways. After all, these are streets. So if I add a POI and declare
it as a highway it should not be necessary to declare it as a street to.
-	I have the same procedure, when I declare a POI as the place, where
a famous persone lived. It must automaticly be a sight.
-	Sometimes I know not much more, but that I’m in a town, forist or
something like that. There must be very abstract categories as well.
-	The system should somehow stay flexible. So I don’t want to have
strict numbers as IDs.
I started to analyse all the POIs I have and tried to categorize them.

And now the list:
categories
0.	Personal / Something else / no category
0.1.	Personal
0.2.	Emergency exit
1.	Traffic
1.1.	Streets and places
1.1.1.	Street
1.1.2.	Crossing
1.1.3.	Place / Yard / Area
1.1.4.	Parking place / parking garage
1.1.5.	Hiking trail / pathway
1.1.6.	Pedestrian zone / Shopping mall / Promenade
1.1.7.	Stair
1.1.8.	Zebra crossing
1.2.	Public transports
1.2.1.	Bus stop
1.2.2.	Tram stop
1.2.3.	Subway station
1.2.4.	Local train station
1.2.5.	station for intercontinental travel
1.2.6.	Taxi rank
1.2.7.	Airport
1.2.8.	Spaceport
1.2.9.	Elevator
1.2.10.	cableway station
1.2.11.	ferryboat station
1.3.	Bridges
1.3.1.	Bridge over a street
1.3.2.	Bridge over a railway
1.3.3.	Bridge over water
1.4.	Tunnels
1.4.1.	Tunnel under a street
1.4.2.	Tunnel under a railway
1.4.3.	Tunnel under water
1.4.4.	Tunnel under a mountain
1.5.	boat traffic
1.5.1.	Dock / haven
1.5.2.	Canal lock / ship lift
1.6.	Address
1.7.	Frontiers and Safety zones
1.7.1.	Checkpoint
1.7.2.	Frontier / Barrier
1.7.3.	Blocked area
2.	Sights
2.1.	Miracle of nature
2.2.	Impressive building / Miracle of architecture
2.3.	Abode of a fames person
2.4.	Miracle of engineering
3.	Geology
3.1.	Peak of a mountain
3.2.	River
3.3.	Creek
3.4.	River mouth
3.5.	Lake
3.6.	Sea
3.7.	Fountain / well
4.	Landscape
4.1.	Forest
4.2.	Desert
4.3.	Prairie
4.4.	Acres and meadows
4.5.	Vineyard / fruit orchard
4.6.	Residential district
4.7.	Black country – Factories
4.8.	Old town / downtown
4.9.	Village
5.	Service
5.1.	Public service
5.1.1.	Post office
5.1.2.	Police office
5.1.3.	Fire station
5.1.4.	Board / agency
5.1.5.	Board / ministry
5.1.6.	Hospital
5.1.7.	Tourist office
5.1.8.	School
5.1.9.	University
5.1.10.	Library
5.2.	Private service
5.2.1.	Hotel / boarding house / youth hostel
5.2.2.	Restaurant
5.2.3.	Quick lunch counter / fast food restaurant
5.2.4.	Bars / Cafe
5.2.5.	Food store
5.2.6.	Market
5.2.7.	Supermarket
5.2.8.	Drugstore
5.2.9.	Home and garden market
5.2.10.	Clothing shop / Boutique
5.2.11.	Car repair shop / petrol station
5.2.12.	car rental
5.2.13.	doctor's office
5.2.14.	Dentists office
5.2.15.	Special shop
5.2.16.	Branch bank
5.2.17.	Exchange office
5.2.18.	Cash dispenser
5.3.	Infrastructure
5.3.1.	wifi hot spot
6.	Sports and leisure
6.1.	Sports
6.1.1.	Swimming bath
6.1.2.	Stadium / sports ground / gymnasium
6.2.	Park
6.2.1.	Park bench
6.2.2.	Playground
6.3.	Exhibition
6.3.1.	Museum
6.3.2.	Exhibition grounds / fairground
6.4.	Campground
6.5.	Show
6.5.1.	Cinema
6.5.2.	Opera
6.5.3.	Theatre
7.	Religion, devotion and burying grounds
7.1.	Christian devotion place
7.2.	Islamic devotion place
7.3.	Buddhist devotion place
7.4.	Hindu devotion place
7.5.	Jewish devotion place

Of cores I’ve made the List in German. So if anybody prefers the German
version, just let me know – the numbers are and should stay the same. And of
cores there may be better words in English sometimes. Lets discuss about the
idea and not the spelling.

Regards

Teddy