[Loadstone] Re Holux problem.

Aedan O'Meara aomeara at IOL.IE
Sat Sep 30 14:40:09 BST 2006

Hi Shawn,
To be precise there seems to be two different problems.
1. Coming home on the bus last night, Loadstone was calling out my progress
along the route fine. I had the autoannounce function turned off, so it was
only calling out the "approaching blah blah" message as I approached each
checked point.
When I got off the bus it went totally silent. It was as though the gps had
stopped sending. Yet there was no "no signal " message So I killed the
program and reloaded Loadstone and my route file with no improvement. In the
end I had to reboot the phone and then Loadstone showed that the gps was
seeing 10 sats and started reporting my position correctly.
2. Sometimes after this sort of freeze up I do get the "no signal" message
from loadstone and yet after rebooting the phone and bringing up loadstone
again and loading in my route again, all is well and in the meantime I would
not have touched the gps rx.
In this circumstances I would only have gotten the "no signal" message,
never the "Your gps clock has stopped ticking" and the battery in the GPS is
fully charged.
I wonder if the comment by Rob in the last digest is relevant to this
problem. Is there a shupdown in the Holux after a stationary period, which
there would have been in the process of getting off the bus last night?
Against this theory is that there was no recovery in over 100 meters of
onward movement.
I would also have noticed that after any other use of the phone such as
receiving a text message or particularly after getting a voice call, it is
mandatory to reboot the phone in order for Loadstone or Wayfinder to work
properly. I presume this is a memory issue. Some parts of memory don't seem
to be released properly.( only my theory)
Regards
Aedan.