[Loadstone] Is there an issue with the Holux 236 receiver?

Rob Melchers rob at loadstone-gps.com
Sat Sep 30 05:02:32 BST 2006

Hi Suzy,

The RT 2001 is basically the same as the RT2010, the 2001 has a battery
life of  about 7 hours, the 2010 lasts for about 16 hours. Anyway, your
phone's battery will be emty long before your receiver dies. Some people
like it, when they can use the same charger for phone and RX.

The differences in receivers are found in size, battery life and ease of
use. Some people prefer a sliding switch, others are fine with a push
button that has to be pushed down for a few seconds to switch the receiver
on and off. Some receivers come with an external antenna connection,
although for pedestrian use you will not need that. Most receivers now are
built around the SiRF3 chipset, that guarantees high sensitivity. The
downside of high sensitivity is the increased risc of reflection-errors and
atmospheric fluctuation.
Also, a receiver may show different results on different days, depending on
atmospheric conditions.
Most modern receivers are WAAS! and EGNOS compatible, something that
already works in North America and will come soon to Europe.

All in all, it's pretty difficult to compare receivers, but as long as a
receiver is based on the SiRF3 chipset it should performas expected with
Loadstone GPS. Prices are around US$ 120 / Euro 100.