[Loadstone] A small suggestion

Shawn Kirkpatrick shawn at odyssey.cm.nu
Wed Sep 20 13:32:50 BST 2006

Interesting idea for the exploration mode but it just isn't going to happen
for a few reasons. List boxes seem to be limited in the number of characters
per item. The docs don't seem to say exactly what that limit is but it's
quite short, maybe 30 characters if we're lucky. A point name can be up to
75 characters, then add in the distance and the checked status and you're
getting close to 100 characters per item. The other reason that the list and
the first letter search won't work is speed. On a very small database this
would probably work but it wouldn't scale at all. On a large database a
search may return a lot of results and take a very long time to do it. Maybe
on a newer phone the time might be workable but I doubt it. As it is now
text searches take a long time even on my n70. and that's one of the fastest
phones I know of.
There's probably going to be changes to the exploration mode but I haven't
figured out what they're going to be yet. I want to improve things but not
lose any existing functionallity.