[Loadstone] File Conversion Question

Michael O. Hanson mhanson at winternet.com
Tue Sep 19 20:37:48 BST 2006

Has anybody tried converting arc or GPX files to work with Loadstone?  I am
curious because I can find alternative maps in these formats.  I don't know
if conversion of such files to text files is possible or how to go about it,
assuming it can be done.

If file conversion is not possible, does anybody know a good source of
public domain maps that will work with Loadstone?  I am curious because I
would like to possibly hike the
Appalachian Trail using adapted GPS.  Loadstone is an ideal program to use
for four
reasons.  First, it is free.  Second, it uses public domain maps.  Third,
the equipment needed (a cell phone and a GPS receiver) is far less expensive
than similar adapted systems.  Fourth, the equipment required is far less
bulky than other adapted systems.  Fifth, batteries can be changed easily
enough in the required equipment.  Such is not the case for other adapted
systems with which I am familiar.

Thank You,

Mike Hanson